[LOGIN-Chat] Problems on Laptop

Rick Jones happynomad200 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 19 22:13:33 AEDT 2011

Hi David.

I have 2 Laptops.
Both are Acer.

My MAIN Laptop is now ONLY Linux Mint as of tonight.... But I was having the same problem as on the other older Laptop.

Both came with Vista installed... THAT went by the wayside quite fast....

HOWEVER when I went to reinstall it .. Vista screwed up both HDDS... on old AND new Laptops... I had something like 250 Partitions on each.

I have now managed to get rid of all except the required Partitions.

The Newer Laptop is as I mentioned purely Linux Mint as of about an hour or so ago and has NO Hardware problems. But it also has the similar problems for installing Winders......THIS ONE also has a hardware problem with the Ethernet

The OLDER Laptop is also Linux Mint but has Partitions for Winders set up.... THIS ONE also has a hardware problem with the Ethernet... at least I suspect it is the Ethernet card as it seems to drop out after a short time... but this has NO effect on the actual Computer just the Internet.

BOTH Laptops. when I try to install ANY Version of Winders,THIS ONE also has a hardware problem with the Ethernet often gives me a BSOD, or sometimes just an error that said it could not mount hda0 ... ...
 With the newer Laptop I am happy to leave it just Linux but would prefer to have Winders installed for the rare occasions I might need it... also for my friend to use when she is here..... She is a total Newbie to computers in general.. let alone the Internet....

I used Gparted initially to create the Partitions, and again later to remove the 200 or so created by Vista....  From what I can find out... this multiple Partition problem is not very common... I could NOT find anything about it online anywhere....... and a Microsft Tech said to try the Linux Forums if I am using Ubuntu... Apparently there IS a pproblem with Ubunto and Vista together.... but my problem has now gone to ALL versions of Winders... I have the Original Vista Restore Disks for both Laptops, and also an Original XP Pro disk, plus a number of other winders disks and Floppies.... NONE want to work properly.

As mentioned I am grateful for ANY help given.

Thanks
Rick