[Makerspace] Projects eShow and Tell?

Greg Hall greghall at brushbox.info
Sat Mar 16 13:44:51 AEDT 2019

Makers,

I think it would be good to send short summaries of the projects that we
are working on, thinking about or could use some help on, to the list.

That way, we could identify topics for presentations, find common
interest groups, and give some of those stalled projects that we all
have gathering dust a boost.

-

To kick off, I'm attaching a couple of photos, a spreadsheet and a
screenshot of an antenna experiment that I did last year.

Inspired by a friend in a hospice who needed connectivity (even though
the place was buzzing with it's own networks), and the ridiculous price
of ready-made antennae:-

I made two Bowtie antennae for 850MHz, placed one inside an 'RF proof'
clothes dryer tub with wire mesh both ends, and connected it to the
other up a bamboo pole, pointing at our new Telstra mobile phone tower.

To get an idea of the system gain (albeit loosely coupled to my mobile
phone), I sat the phone on a slab of Styrofoam above the 'shielded'
antenna, and used an Android app 'Network Cell Info (lite)'.

The RSSI shows that I has getting ~6dB gain overall. I've since bought
the
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ad8307.pdf
and will apply myself to getting some actual measurements;)

-

Greg Hall
0265504481
0428850144