[Makerspace] X-bot SwarmRobots - group buy from XinCheJian Shanghai hackerspace

Spanner888 spanner888 at xinchejian.com
Thu Jan 3 22:27:57 AEDT 2013

Howdy

Following on from the prize winning SwarmRobots (beat MIT and beaten by
Harvard) is X-bot <http://www.dreamore.cn/Project/Show/512>. The
X-bot's<http://www.dreamore.cn/Project/Show/512>are currently on a
Kickstarter like Chinese site Dreamore - were you can
see a video of the robots in action. X-bot will also going be on
Kickstarter in February.

I am organising a group buy for Australia of the SMD kits (126RMB - about
$A20) and if there is any interest in the mostly assembled version (146RMB
- about $A23). I will get a discount on the group buy, but that will be
used to subsidise postage in Australia. I hope for hand delivery about 25th
of January when some XinCheJian hackerspace members come the the Linux
conference in Canberra. Once I have an idea of the numbers, I will get
postage estimates and final pricing.

One technical aspect that I think is worth highlighting is the use of cheap
IR transmit and receive LEDs for object avoidance and communications,
without the need for expensive optics. The X-bots are worth purchasing
purely to get familiar with how this is acheived for use in other projects!

Please note that these are "Swarm" robots - so you really need more than
one - as can be seen in the demo video - the code needs two robots in
different roles. There is also a "follow the leader" mode. Code and
schematics etc are
here<https://github.com/xinchejian/SwarmRobots/tree/master/ATMEGA168>.

Given the expected Canberra delivery date of 25th January, I need responses
quickly, say by COB on the 11th. If you are not sure if you can commit to
purchase, or need to connect with others who are interested, please drop me
a line.

If you prefer through hole components, then I have 40 PCB pairs, motors and
IR receiver LEDs for making the award winning SwarmRobots, but you  need to
scrounge or spend a few dollars to source the remaining items (Atmega328,
resistors, caps, LEDs, headers, ....).

Please forward this email to friends, members and interested groups.

Spencer Featherstone
XinCheJian Shanghai hackerspace member,  should be Canberra MHV member (I
have only just got back to Aus) and SwarmRobot team member.

www.UsableDevices.com
http://wiki.xinchejian.com/wiki/Category:Swarm_Robots