[Makerspace] Makerspace re-organisation reportback

ned haughton naught101 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 14:05:47 AEST 2018

Hey all,
Bit of a report-back from the space clean up:.
- We managed to sort a tonne of stuff in to boxes. Getting a bit of mise
en place <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise_en_place> happening. This
is on-going work.
- We also put a bunch of stuff into an e-waste pile near the front door
(if anyone wants any old monitors, go for it), and dumped a bit of rubbish.
- We re-arranged the whole space, now it looks approximately like this:

The idea behind the demo space being that the demostrator can sit at the
back of the room (east/right end) facing everyone, with the thing
they're demoing on the table. One or more of the displays behind/to the
side can be used to show relevant info. It should now be easy to fit at
least 10 people in the space for demos, maybe up to 15. And it should
also be possible to have a smaller demo happening at the back while
someone is using the work spaces or the computer.
The displays can also be used for e.g. software diagnositic tools.

We ran out of time after about 4 hours, so there is still a fair bit of
work that needs to be done. In particular:
- Mount the wall-arm monitor (the arm is in the space now).
- Get a *table, or a set of shelves* for the coffee area. Something
about 900x800x450 HxWxD would be ideal, I think. Anyone have? Drawers
also good.
- Clean up the electrical workspace.
- Get a better *bench for the mechanical workspace* (another one like
the one that is there would be good).
- Figure out a proper extraction system for the 3d printer and possible
future laser cutter (I will talk to Greg about this next weekend).
- Organise an e-waste drop-off.
- Computer upgrades.
- general cleaning.

I think I will try to get back in to the space and have another go at
some of that in a few weeks. In the mean time, anyone else should feel
free to jump in do any of the above, or organise other events.

Cheers
ned